Thursday, February 22, 2018

Garden shenanigans

Spring is around the corner. Our weather is now tipping back and forth between freezing nights and warm spring like days. This is our first spring with the green house so it is a learning experience. I was not sure how early I would be able to start anything in it, so we set up some starter pots at the beginning of Feb when we began to have some days above freezing. When the day time temp is above freezing and there is a smidge of sun the green house temp rises into the 70's. I set out the bails of hay and layered them with compost and top soil. I am growing two types of lettuce this year. Ice burg and some sort of leaf lettuce I found seed for. The leaf lettuce went on the bails of hay. I put the first batch of seed down around Feb 1. I had not seen any signs of germination tell last night. I went out to take a peek not expecting anything when low and behold beautiful little sprouts all over my hay bale. Since the first sprouts are up I will be planting a second bail in about a week. So I can stagger my harvest times and have more lettuce longer. I will probably end up with 3-4 bails of lettuce before it gets to hot to start any more. I am also trying ice burg lettuce this year. I have started those seeds in compostable pots also in the green house and they will go into the beds as soon as we are no longer freezing at night. Today me and the girls started the herbs and plants I use in making salve/soap. These will be 2nd and 3rd generation plants grown from seed saved from years past. 

Hear is my planting list for the year:

Chocolate cherry tomato's. 
Bell peppers red and yellow
Leaf Lettuce 
Ice Burg Lettuce
Pickling cucumbers
Green beans blue lake 
Green beans the climbing variety the pods are purple
Sweet Corn although we might switch to popping corn
Carrots
Cauliflower
Onions

Herbs:
Calendula
Jewl Weed
Yarrow
Anise
Lemon Balm
Rosemary
Purple Basil
marjoram

What's in your garden this year.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment